WickedP text logo

New car roof rack troubles

Original project: Diary
Previous project post: My new car - yay!
History: View complete project post history

As with anything you buy, there's bound to be something it doesn't do, or have. Nothing is perfect, so I guess this is to be expected.

The new car is great. But buying roof racks for it has proved to be nothing but troublesome. I initially bought a pair of ProRack Aero's, but after taking them home I realised the cross bars are rather narrow. They wouldn't fit two windsurf boards side-by-side like my old sedan racks would. So I took the bars back and exchanged for the wider ones.

But after putting all the pieces together for the wider ones, I found they wouldn't fit, because the adjustable parts wouldn't go in enough to mount on my roof rails. What's more, even these so called wider bars aren't as wide as the racks on my previous car! So the wider ones went back as well.

I've now ended up having to order a pair of tradie rails, which were only as wide as the inital ones, and more expensive. These do have a tie-down point on the ends, which will be useful, but that begs the question why am I paying more for "tradie" racks when they're not as areao, don't hold anymore, aren't anymore secure, and the only real difference being the tie-down poins on the end which are just an additional piece of metal.

I'm rather disappointed that the Aeros, with all that expense, don't have a tie down point on the ends. It really means you have to buy specific mounting hardware for whatever it is that you're wanting to put on the racks. What's more, the Aero bars aren't even flat! Good luck trying to mount anything on there that doesn't conform to the bend, or, fit the additional mounting hardware.

It's really frustrating that the modern stuff is purpose built like this, and so expensive. The old cars you could buy a $50 rack, it didn't matter what it looked like, and it did all jobs. The modern bars, whilst great sounding (you know, "Aero" and all) are almost completely useless unless you buy additional mounting hardware (at further expense), build your own to suit, or, put up with things not being very flexible or easy to use.

There's a lot to be said about the older stuff. It just worked.

The end result here is, I'm probably going to end up with only a single board on the roof, or I'll have to double stack, which will be difficult to deal with when the wind is blowing. And, the cabin space of the wagon may now have to take a board inside, if I want to take more than one (which is very likely).

Pretty poor really.